Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The Big Wind-Down

In the last few days I have been overcome by a great exhaustion, not only of body and mind, but of spirit as well. It feels like an exhaustion years in the making.

The election is over. The intensity recedes. The great turning of the ages is underway, and will keep being underway for the foreseeable future. In the meantime the news turns to the everyday give-and-take of the political arena.

I feel an overwhelming desire to withdrawal from it all, not because I don't find it interesting, for surely I do, but because I simply crave a feeling of normalcy in the flow of my life that I haven't felt in a long time. At the very least, I have no desire to comment on the day-to-day of politics. That was never my intention. I will let others do that, who are much better suited at such type of commentary.

No one gets to decide that life will be normal. In both the personal sphere, and the public sphere, events can dictate the pace and timbre of life beyond our ability to choose how we live it. I know I'd be foolish to think that "things will be normal" now in any sense. Maybe they will.

But I can at least take a break, from writing here on this blog, at least about anything related to current events and history. I think that's what I will do, at least for a few weeks or a few months, or least until there is something I feel compelled to say.

If I keep writing here, I think I will turn my attention to the small, normal things of life for a while. If I write at all, I want to write about the quiet things, that bring peace to my mind.

Yes, that's what I will do.




No comments: