Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Sailor Heads Out to the Nevada Desert

The alarm on my cellphone went off at 5:30 AM, giving me just enough time to snooze it once, to grab a few minutes more of sleep.

We'd been up later than planned, the night before. We had spent most of the afternoon driving around the Portland metro area doing last minute errands on my list. First off was the costume shop on Hawthorne, where I loaded up on some crucial gear. Then I had to return the tent to the REI in Tualatin, and pick up a few more items there. Then it was on to Target. Red figured the nearest one was in Wilsonville, so we drove down I-5 to there.

I remarked on the way that it was exactly the Target where hundreds of thousands of dead bees had been found, killed by a pesticide, in early July. There had even been a memorial service for the bees. I had joked with Red at the time that we should show up there with picket signs that said "God Hates Bees." We got a big laugh out of it, but decided it wouldn't be in good taste.

So when we got to the parking lot this time, and her car rolled to a stop, I feigned a tear in my eye.

"This is where it all happened," I said, in a solemn tone. I could only hold it for a couple seconds before breaking out with a grin.

We got back home with just enough time to get my started on serious packing. Unlike my ultralight trip to Denver, this time I'd need to check some bags---two large duffels stuffed with all my gear, clothes, and food for a week.

I was mostly packed by the time 8:00 o'clock rolled around. After a quick shower, we got in the car and headed into Northwest, to the Pearl District, to catch the debut show of the Yachtsmen, a late 1970's cover band for which my friend John McIsaac is the bassist.

Jimmy Mak's was packed by the time we got there. We had to stand on the edge of the crowd, but we still got plenty of space to dance. Red is a big Christopher Cross fan, and the Yachtsmen didn't disappoint on that score, performing two of his signature hits at the end of their set.

We both agreed that the lead signer, who was wearing the same sailor cap that I had purchased at the Hawthorne costume shop, nailed all the songs very well. Like Red says, the key to a good cover band is that they sound as much as possible like the original.


Adam: Hey, it's your theme song.
Me: You should open a club...

The best part about the evening was getting to see my friends Adam and Marie again. They finally made it back form New York.

After Jimmy Mak's it was back home with a few hours in the late evening to finish packing, and do laundry. It was past midnight by the time we finally got to bed.

As of now I'm sitting in a coffee shop in the Reno Airport. I already checked into the Burner Express, the bus that will take me and my gear up to Black Rock City. Okki left me a message during my flight saying he and Ash are in Utah heading west into Nevada. Sean and Michele are probably on their way from Aspen by now.

Stefan is arriving from Zurich tomorrow. He said four of his Swedish friends, "Virgin Burners," as first-timers are called, are going to show up sometime tomorrow with an RV. That means Okki, Ash, and I will have to find a spot to accomodate all of us.

Before the additional Swedes signed up, there were only six of us making it this year---five veterans plus Ash. "The Intrepid Six," I dubbed us. Michele liked that and so that's what we are. Except now we're the Intrepid Six+Four, because of the additional Swedes.

Our plan is for me to meet up with Ash and Okki somehow later today near the corner of 7:00 and Holy (the H-ring street).

Only thirty-eight minutes to the shuttle boards. The terminal around me has a smattering of people wearing colorful spangles, boas, and funny hats. All I've got is my Captain's hat that I wore at Jimmy Mak's.  It's gonna look really cool once it's wrapped in some LED lights.



Me to Red: I happen to know one of your favorite songs is coming up next.

No comments: