Monday, December 3, 2012

Thunderbird Lodge, Redding

The drive up to the coast to Eureka had been utterly spectacular. It was late October, and I knew I was pushing my luck for the weather, but I got lucky that weekend. Most of the daylight hours were sunny and bright. It afforded me some incredible views standing not the cliffs and looking out to see around Mendocino and Point Arenas.

Along the way, I began to wonder what I would after Eureka. I really didn't have any set plans after that. It occurred to me that if I wanted to, I could just keep driving up the west coast all the way to the Olympic Peninsula of Washington, something I've never done.

The more I thought about it, the more it appealed to me, although part of me kept saying to myself that this wasn't the right time to do that, and that I really wanted to stay longer in California before leaving.

As it happened, opportunity conspired to help me make up my mind, as it often does, in some beautiful way of coincidence.

In Eureka, my friend in Fresno texted me that he had been invited to spend a long weekend in Berkeley with someone that we had both met the month before in Arroyo Grande. Was I interested? Could I give him a ride?

It took me about ten seconds to decide, partly because I've learned that "surfing the opportunity" like this usually leads to good things happening.

So after Eureka, I ditched the "follow the coast" idea and headed inland, taking a long afternoon to wind through the rugged mountains to Redding, where I had booked a night at the Thunderbird Lodge in downtown.

Redding is a town I like. I have pleasant memories of being there, from the old days of college, and also from the year before, when I landed my current job over the phone while walking around the parking lot of the downtown Starbucks there.

The Thunderbird Lodge is an independent motel--no "flag" (i.e. brand), as they say in the hospitality industry.

As this guy might say, I don't always stay in independent motels, but when I do, it is almost always because it has exceptionally good reviews online at Booking.com or some other site.

The Thunderbird Lodge didn't disappoint me. The rooms were very nice---roomy, modern, clean, and comfortable. All of this and very affordable as well. It's a very well run place. I recommend it if you ever find yourself in Redding and in need of lodging.

Of course, it still didn't have my favorite cable tv channel. But that's for a different post.



No comments: