Monday, December 24, 2012

Let There Be Dolphins

My visit to Santa Barbara was extraordinary. As was the case in Ventura, I had planned to stay only one night, but the excellent of the motel, in price, quality, and location, caused me to extend my visit to a week and half.

As if to reward me, yesterday afternoon was perfectly clear over the ocean.

I walked down the beach about a mile and sat on some rocks, watching dolphins play in the waves in front of me until the orb of the sun went down.

From where I sat, a lone sailboat was positioned on the edge of the horizon in front of the solar disk as it touched the waterline.

In the last light of the sun, the brilliance of the sun completely surrounded the hull of the sailboat, making glow orange as it were magically on fire without being consumed.

Outside of the time I've spent with friends, new and old, the image of the boat, and the waves and dolphins will remain in my mind as one of the quintessential experiences during this "long trip" to California.

Well, that and the General Sherman Tree, and the Sierra over Bishop, and view from hot tub in Berkeley and...

No comments: