Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Single Man

Seen at: Lyric Cinema Cafe, about three weeks ago

Speaking of Harrimans, I think Julianne Moore might be a pretty good Pamela. She was certainly awesome in A Single Man, which I would rank easily among the superior films of last year.

I debated a lot about the ending to this movie: did it have the right one? Was it necessary in Aristotlean sense of necessity?

But that's my strongest criticism of this film, if it is a criticism at all. On all other levels, it's one of the year's best.

There's a lot of Mad Men in here to be sure, riffing right off the episodes about the Cuban Missile Crisis, and reacting against the homophobia of the characters in that show. But that's what movies should do---riff off other good works of art. Fine by me on all counts.

Perhaps surpasses A Serious Man even as a solid Sixties period piece. At least its equal.

No comments: