Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Oscar Picks (and final top movie list) for 2009

My top five best movies of 2009 (alphabetical):
Antichrist
Avatar
Inglourious Basterds
The Road
Watchmen


The winner: Inglourious Basterds.

If there was ever a year when Postmodern film needed to produce a legitimate hero, it was 2009. At the moment of history when cinema needed him, Tarantino stepped forward and delivered exactly the movie that needed to be made. I wasn't sure when I saw it, but I am now. It's the year's best film.

It should win the Oscar in my book, and Harvey Weinstein says it will, so I'll make that my prediction too.

QT FTW

Honorable mention for best movie of 2009:
A Single Man
A Serious Man
The Hurt Locker
Stillet Licht


Actor of the Year: Robert Downey Jr., over George Clooney
Actress of the Year: Sandra Bullock
Filmmaker of the Year: Lars Van Trier

Other Oscar predictions: The Door for best live short, and Logoland for best animated short

No comments: