Saturday, March 26, 2022

Playing Bob Hope at the Strange War USO

 A couple nights ago I sent an email to Patrick, designed as a promo for Threadfest 2022, continuing on one I'd sent him a couple days before, introducing myself to folks in the audience as the co-emcee.  In the second message, I said I wanted to take my job seriously, and with a month before the conference, I wanted to begin introducing some of the speakers. I stared with J.B. White, whom I had met in Las Vegas last October. I said that as we try to figure out "the narrative," that I get to play Bob Hope at the USO to the "wartime celebrities" in our community.

By wartime of course I don't meant the conflict that started last month, that the media thinks is World War III in the making, but rather what we in the community call "The Strange War," a phrase coined by one of Patrick's listeners, in reference the uncanniness of what has been going on since 2020 at least, and which the Continuity of Government (COG) after the end of Trump's first term is following something akin to a clandestine plan which we call "Devolution." 

For now I letting the heavy-hitter writers in our community hash over the details of Devolution, and also the continuing fallout of Russiagate--that is, the scandal of the DNC and Hillary Clinton's campaign spying on and cooperating with the media and the Obama Administration to keep Donald Trump from taking office, and trying to take him out in a coup before was even sworn in. Several in our community, including Brian Cates who writes for the Epoch Times, and who will be a Threadfest speaker in Nashville next month, are among the war time celebrities I mentioned. Brian has been a bulldog following Russiagate and the ongoing investigations into it, that he has long been convinced will bear a heavy crop of fruit in the form of indictments against the Deep State coup plotters (perhaps even Hillary herself).

While the heavy-hitters build the narrative, I am concentrating, on the show business aspect of it. The idea that I get to be on stage in Nashville in less than a month puts a smile on my face. It's not the ego of it, but rather just the idea that I get an excuse to up my game.

Lately it means doing a great deal of research, especially about the history of media in the United States, and in particular, the show business of Country Music, which is fascinating. Also Daniel Boone, and Andrew Jackson. What could be more fun?

My main goal is to have the conference be successful, and to make everyone there feel like they had a good time, and especially that the speakers feel good as they start their talks. I don't care if anyone even "sees" my presence on stage. I told Patrick that mostly my prep will be to have lots of material---way too much--that I could talk about in quasi-extemporaneous fashion for minutes on end to cover gaps of continuity in the show. 

My own little personal ambition is to somehow find an excuse to sing "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?" while on stage. If I can squeeze that in, then I will have had a great deal of fun.


No comments: