Tuesday, September 28, 2021

All I Need for Today

 Lying in bed on Sunday afternoon, hearing the television set from the other room, and feeling as if it were fifty years ago--these brought back the memories of people whom I loved, and who loved me, and who are gone.

But coming to consciousness, as I reflected on the pleasantness I felt, it struck me that the entire gist of the feeling of happiness in that moment came from the knowledge that someone else was out in the other room, that I was not alone. It was the knowledge, that I could go through the door and see a face of a person I loved, and that loved me, and that I could spend the rest of the day in contented fellowship with that person---all of this in the present moment, and the near future--this is what gave me the deepest satisfaction.

That feeling, that I am welcome, and that I can share fellowship and love with others, has been at the core of the search of much of my adult life. I have felt it at times, and at other times barely felt it. As the years have gone by I have to come to treasure the memories of times I felt that.

Lately I feel barely connected to other people, as if my world has whittled down to just a few people who would even notice if I were gone from the world, or even care. But one is infinitely more than none, and even if there were no other people, God is present, and to worship and adore him, even in complete solitude and isolation, would be enough to get up in the morning, and enough to go on living day to day.

But I am not alone. I have the blessings of love and company with me. One is infinitely more than none. For today at least, it is all I need.

No comments: