Tuesday, February 2, 2021

The Approach into Scottsdale

My daily walks in my undeveloped patch of desert take me under the approach path for the small  small airport the south, in the now-developed part of Scottsdale within the 101 Loop freeway. It has one runway, but it is long.

On most days out walking I see plenty of small craft coming and going from the airport, The private jets often come in from the northeast over the McDowell Mountains, which form the backdrop of my vista the east.

Sometimes I can tell that someone is taking flying lessons. They come out over the freeway and clear the power lines in one engine small crafts and then circle above the power lines to descend again to the airport, under the guidance of instructor perhaps.

Some of the pilots---the more experienced ones---use the dry wash as a guide as they approach the power lines, before descending towards the airport on the other side of the freeway. They fly almost directly over me. Perhaps some of them recognize me.

This time of year, however, the traffic coming into the airport is heavy, and the planes are large. They are bigger private jets---Embraers and Bombardier aircraft bringing in people solo and in groups. The golf tournament, which begins on Thursday, and other events---the horse show, the auto show---are the big draws.  Golf is huge here, a spectator sport.


No comments: