Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The Hard Opening Made Easy

This work project for TriMet's new fare card web site always has me on my toes. Like I said, being so far down the chain of contractors, and being a thousand miles away from Portland, often crucial pieces of information don't make it to until the last minute.

For example, as of last week I thought I would all this week to clean up some of the remaining bug-fix tickets in the app before the live roll out to the public. On Monday I set out tackle some of the most intractable ones, thinking I could take the whole day to cover them.

Then at 5:30 PM, I got an email saying that the next day (that, today, Tuesday) would be the deadline for the release of the version that would go to the public. Moreover, I got a list of a high priority items. Could I possibly have them all done by the end of the next business day?

Of course I said yes. I get paid for that. Also I enjoy it. I love coming through for people. I am very good at making people look good at their own jobs. Even though pretty much the entire project came down to yours truly hacking at the keyboard to wrap up the bug fixes---something no one else could possibly do at this stage of the project---I know I will not get any formal public credit for any of this. I don't mind that, so long as the check clears. Money is not everything, but it's a good measure of the value one contributes at time. Moreover, I get the pride of completion of a job well down.

My key to success so far: I give a d@mn.

That being said, I'm still crossing my fingers nothing goes horribly wrong. Some things are beyond one's control. I can only do my job.

Fortunately all the last minute things they wanted me to do were very easy, so I got them done. They were things like changing the link of the instructional youtube videos to updated ones (like the one below). Sometimes people want the impossible and think it will be easy for you. Other times they want something easy and think it will be impossible. It seems to even out.

All of this recent hoopla and build-up had me deciding that I just had to join the party next Monday in Portland. So I'm flying up to Oregon this weekend, visiting for the first time since we left there eleven months ago.  I'll get to drop by and see my mates at the Brigade in Albina, and also join them at the kickoff party in downtown Portland on Monday morning.

You're invited too. See you there!

Hop launch media event

WhenMon Jul 17, 2017 10am – 11am 
WhereSW 11th and Morrison, Portland - TriMet's 11th Ave rail turnaround





No comments: