Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Chinese Tourists in Denmark

After Iceland, we flew to Copenhagen and stayed in the same hotel for a week, in the city near the train station. It was quite different because we didn't move hotel at all for a whole week. It was nice to catch with everything and slow down, and also have an exciting new city (and country) right all around us.

Here my photographs of native words was different than Iceland, where everything we passed, we left in our rear view mirror. I got to walk some of the same streets near our hotel at least once a day for days on end, and also to go into the nearby central train station several times to harvest as many words there as possible. It was a grand old structure with a high ceiling, and many businesses inside.

I tried to keep track of the native words I found, but only loosely. I didn't care if I repeated the same word and phrase, because sometimes I found much better examples.

We also went out to major tourist sites, like the Little Mermaid, where I took a picture of the signs near the statue, and got some with Chinese tourists climbing on top of it in the background. It soon became obvious to me that getting with cool stuff in the background like that was a premium.

But my favorite place turned out to be the little self-service laundromat near our hotel where we spent the morning before our departure from the city (yes, such places do exist in Copenhagen). We had gone there after checking out of our hotel, and before going to the train station. We both were happy to get clean clothes. And there was lots of cool vocabulary there, unique to that kind of place, in little signs on the wall explaining how to buy soap, and how to use the machines, etc. The typography of those kinds of signs, if there are printed, is typically superb. There were also great handwritten ones as well.

After a week in Copenhagen my iPhone now had about 2000 pictures. I figured I was building up a good vocabulary of the languages so far.




No comments: