Monday, November 24, 2014

Random Postcard #1: Grenoble---Equilibrium Kills

This one is for Jean, my friend in Marseille whom I am on my way to visit current. From the Citadelle Bridge, looking downriver on the Isère.

Grenoble is a more interesting city than I thought. It is the "Door of France," and the Capital of the French Alps.

Having just come down from Chamonix through historical Savoy, one feels as if one is descending into France proper. Grenoble is still nestled in the Alps and lower ranges here, but another range of low mountains and one is at the Rhône.

Two days to explore it. Yesterday afternoon I walked down to the park, built for the hydrological exposition in the 1920s and later used for the Olympics. The stadium where Peggy Fleming won her gold medal is still in use---a brilliant quartet of hyperbolic paraboloids. On the day I visited, it was being used for a circus. Outside were cattle and two-humped camels, waiting their turn to be on stage inside.





No comments: