Sunday, May 25, 2014

Across Missouri by Volkswagen

In the middle of my trip to Tennessee to see my friend Greg, we actually took a lightning road trip from Memphis up to Omaha and back.

Greg's wife lives up there---they have a long-distance marriage, in effect. I actually went to their wedding two years ago, in the backyard of the house in Omaha which was our destination. Part of the reason for our trip, besides the usual visit that Greg makes to see his wife, was to return his wife's new Volkswagen light sport truck, which had been getting some adjustments at the dealership in Memphis.

We left early in the morning and spent the whole day driving across Arkansas and Missouri, In the early hours of the morning, as we were passing through the Ozarks, we actually had an awesome discussion of spiritual and theological issues. Greg's father had recently passed away---he had just buried him in Florida before my visit---and he was, somewhat uncharacteristically for him, in a mood to discuss such things and hear my opinions.

It was a privilege to be able to answer his questions about what I believed, and why. I got to assert what I believed, and explained why, to someone who was both skeptical and curious at the same time.  It's not something I get to do very often.

No comments: