Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Unscathed in Tucson.

Had a very nice visit to Arizona, all in all. Red and I flew down to Phoenix together during middle of last week, and then we drove a rental car down to Tucson, where we stayed a couple nights at my aunt and uncle's place. It was a year ago that I was there on my own, during the remarkable month I spent in this state.

It seems like much longer. The chapters and transitions of my life seem to flip by much faster.

It was so nice to see both of them again, and to make good on my vow not to let too much time go by, before I was back in Tucson. Their house is filled with knickknacks from grandparents' place back in Iowa, and more than once I was filled with a wave of nostalgia for my childhood.

In the year since I saw them Uncle Bruce---my dad's brother---has since retired from his job. He's transitioned from biking to both biking and hiking, now that he has more leisure time. But like all retirees I know, he still works a little at his old occupation. I was pleased to give him advice on trekking poles.

At his suggestion we went out to the Desert Museum---a desert zoo, if you will, just west of the city. I was last there in May 1989, when I was on my way to my undergraduate commencement ceremony in Salem. That was half my life ago.

That day in '89 I left my Renault Fuego out in the sun while I was in the museum, and when I came back the black interior and steering wheel was far too hot to touch. With no air conditioning in my car, I was stuck. At the time I thought I was going to have to wait until the sun went down, but I managed to rig a way to steer without burning my palms.

It's funny how those kinds of distinct physical sensations---the pain of the too-hot steering wheel---burn events into your memory (pardon the expression). As Red and I left the zoo last week, I could almost point out the exact spot where I parked back then.

On our way out of town, while going back up to Scottsdale for the wedding we had come to attend, I gave Red a tour of Tucson based on my memories from my long visit last year. As we drove down Grant Avenue, I pointed out the spot where the Bimmer got slammed from behind. It was quite easy to identify.

This visit, however, we left Tucson without any significant automobile-related incidents. But then again, I wasn't driving this time.

No comments: