Thursday, January 30, 2014

Idaho---furthest Oregon Territory

Exit 71 on I-15 is nothing short of an oasis. A half dozen bright motels, a couple with restaruant and lounges in them. They cascade down the hill towards the main boulevard, where there is an abundance of friendly convenience stores.

In a short five minute drive you are in Pocatello. I took a walking tour of campus after work today. Very relaxing. ISU reminds me of a different campus where I grew up. Fun to see the same initials in a completely different place, with its own history and configuration.

I like the architecture of these campuses in the Intermountain West. The basketball arenas are good source of inspiration. Idaho State's is one of the most majestic I have ever seen. It's a giant quonset hut with a corrugated metal roof. It looks like a mammoth scale rodeo hall at a state fair. The sides are white and painted with huge letters. The roof makes a rainbow in the school colors---orange and black.

Nice student center too. Friendly to scale. I got an egg sandwich at the bagel chain place inside, sat looking out over the quad. A fireplace at the end of the room. Felt so cozy. Feeling so warm there, I found myself thinking this place must be nice in winter.

Scientific facilities are pure post-war functionality. But it is heterogenous. There is no boring repetition like computer circuits of repeated structure. Each one is highly adapted.

Reminds me of Yale campus.

No comments: