Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Many Miles Away by a Bright Tropical Surf

This morning I woke up in my hotel room before dark and opened my laptop before I was barely awake. The time zone in which I'm currently located puts me in a severely lagging position compared to most of my colleagues and co-workers in New York. Fortunately there were no fire alarms ringing concerning the web application for the Big Publishing Company for which I am the sole curator lately.

With the sunlight just creeping in, I went to the window of the room and looked out. Across the street, five stories below was a park with a zoo. Beyond that an ancient volcanic crater covered with a jungle of green on its flanks.

Then I went downstairs and went into the balmy tropical morning air. A few other folks, some tourists and shuffling homeless went up and down the sidewalk. From there I could see the palm trees by the ocean, only a couple hundred yards away.

I walked a half block to a convenience store and bought a cup of coffee. I went back outside to the sidewalk and sipped it while looking out towards the water.

It's not every day of one's life that one gets to have morning coffee on Waikiki Beach.

No comments: