Sunday, July 21, 2013

The World's #1 Portlandia Fan

I'm the world's Number One Portlandia fan (or certainly in the top 100). Let me tell you how.

It was early October 1985. I'd been in Salem about a month. I'd gotten over my early jitters that had made me want to flee the place. I'd met a few friends, and even had a few girlfriends.

One day in the Cat Cavern I was reading a stray copy of the Oregonian. On the front page that day, I think, was a picture of a giant sculpture of a woman being floated down the Willamette River on a barge. The woman had waving hair, and was holding a trident. She was stooped down, and giving her free hand towards the river in a gesture of welcome. The caption of the photo said the sculpture was to be installed in Portland.

That's for me, I decided.




No comments: