Saturday, February 4, 2012

Lady Moon


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4
View Larger Map
 This week the Denver area got hit by a huge snowstorm, prompting the cancelation of this weeks reddit group hike, which was to be down in Golden.

But up in Larimer County the storm was much less severe, hardly more than the dumping we got in late October. By Saturday the roads were completely clear.

With no group hike, I thought I might just relax on Saturday. But by noon, I was more than a litte stir crazy. I got in my car and thought I'd go from a drive, like I used to back in high school. I wound up going up to Red Feather Lakes, into the Roosevelt National Forest area.

My snowshoes and gaiters were still in the trunk from last week, and when I passed the Lady Moon trailhead, I decided it was time to get a little exercise.

It was a perfect sunny afternoon. There was about a foot of snow on the ground, and there was already a nice little trench from previous snowshoers and cross country skiers. I didn't even have to use my poles.

The trench went about a mile along the trail before looping around. I didn't feel like blazing any new tracks in the powder, so I turned around and called it a day. I took this picture with smartphone on the way back, passing through a meadow. You can almost make out a woman crosscountry skier in the middle of the meadow.

The trail was very flat. Up near Red Feather, the terrain is a plateau, more or less, with small mountains poking up. It was the perfect amount of exercise before the sun went behind a cloud and the temperature started to drop.

A very nice afternoon. As I drove back through town, it occurred to me that the only thing missing this week was the ongoing "bear" theme. Just as I was thinking about this, and stopped at a stoplight, a van pulled up to my left. When I looked through the passenger window, I just burst out laughing. I couldn't beliee what I saw. Right through my passenger window was an enormous looming emblem of a standing ursine creature staring back at me with the words: Bear Archery


"Perfect,"  I muttered.


No comments: